Tribhuvan International Airport is the only international airport in Nepal. Immigration Office at TIA (Tribhuvan International Airport) under the Department of Immigration has been facilitating tourists flying to Nepal by providing Visa on Arrival. The ‘On Arrival’ visa procedure is quick and simple. You might expect some queues during peak season, but if you don’t like being in a queue, you can also consider getting Visa from Nepalese Diplomatic Missions stationed abroad prior to your arrival.
If the visa has been obtained from Nepalese Diplomatic Missions, then you must enter Nepal within six months from the visa issued date.
Visas obtained on Arrival at the Entry and Exit points are ‘Tourist Visas’. They bear multiple Re-entry facility. Tourist Visa ‘On Arrival’ is the only entry visa to Nepal. If you are visiting Nepal for the purposes other than Tourism (sightseeing, tour, travel, mountaineering, trekking, visiting friends and families), you should still get ‘ Tourist Visa’ to get into the country. However, you must change the category of visa as per your purpose and length of stay in Nepal from the Department of Immigration by providing them with documents requested by them.
The procedures for Tourist Visa on Arrival at the airport (TIA) is a simple process.
- 1st Step
- Fill in ‘ Arrival Card ‘
- Fill in Online ‘Tourist Visa ‘form (you can fill it up prior to your arrival by visiting the official website of the Department of Immigration / fill it up using Kiosk machines upon your arrival at the airport). If you fill it from the website, you will get a submission Receipt with barcode, please print it out and bring it along for acquiring a visa. The validity will be for fifteen days, then after that, you will have to fill it up again.
- 2nd Step
- Make payment at the bank according to your visa requirement (15/30/90 Days)
- Get the receipt
While you can use different modes of payments (at visa fees collection counter), we advise you to carry some cash to be on the safe side.
On Arrival Visa Fee
15 Days – 25 USD
30 Days – 40 USD
90 Days – 100 USD
- 3rd Step
- Proceed to the Immigration Desk with your online form, payment receipts, and your passport.
- Hand in your documents to an immigration officer for visa processing. He/she issues visas for you upon his/her satisfaction.
Gratis Visa (Visa for Free)
Gratis Visa is issued free of cost in case of following categories of Visa applicants:
- Children below 10 years
- Up to 30 days for SAARC Citizen (except Afghanistan) visiting Nepal for the first time in a given visa Year. Afghan citizens are eligible for Gratis Visa on Arrival only upon the recommendation of the Department of Immigration. If you are an Afghan citizen, you can request a concerned institution, inviting you to Nepal for necessary paperwork with the Department of Immigration to get you Gratis Visa ‘On Arrival’.
- Non Residential Nepalese (NRN) card holder (issued by MoFA /Nepalese diplomatic missions abroad)
- Chinese Nationals
Officials from China, Brazil, Russia, and Thailand do not need an Entry Visa based on the reciprocal visa waiver Agreement.
Visas of all kinds including ‘Gratis’ issued at the Airport are Tourist Visas. Contact Department of Immigration for extending your visa or changing the category of your visa. Tourist Visa extension can be done from the Immigration Office, Pokhara too. Non-tourist visa extension can be done only at the Department of Immigration (if eligible) for a period of maximum one year (except business visa).